Monday, April 11, 2011

Qualities of Women Leaders

This article focuses on differentiating women leaders and men who lead. It focuses on the characteristics that women leaders posses that some times make them more effective then men.

A year long study by the management consulting firm, Caliper, identifies a number of characteristics that distinguish women leaders from men. It was said that women are more assertive, persuasive and more willing to take risks then men.

Do you think these three findings are true? I think that a lot of the times women are more assertive and persuasive then men but I am not sure that I agree on woman being more willing to take risk then men.

The article also mentions how woman are more flexible and good listeners. They are able to relate to their followers which makes it easier for them to trust and listen to the leaders. Women are able to have others see their point of view because they genuinely understand and care about where others are coming from.

In chapter 9 we learned about charismatic leaders and I think that a lot of women who are successful leaders are charismatic leaders because they are able to get engagement from their followers and they truly care about the follower.

1 comment:

  1. I don't completely agree with the three findings. I can say that women are more assertive but I would say that men are more persuasive and more willing to take risk.My reasoning behind this is experience. I have had male and female bosses and it seemed that the males followed what I previously stated. However I do agree that women are more flexible and are better listeners. But I don't think it makes it easier to trust them. Women are completly different types of leaders than men which is a good thing because then more views and perspectives are available in the workplace.

    Eric Dhooge

    ReplyDelete