Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Have Women Shattered the Glass Ceiling?

http://www.usatoday.com/news/opinion/forum/2010-04-15-column15_ST1_N.htm

This article gives a few statistics about women and where we stand today in the business world. It was interesting to me to read about how there were only 34 women out of 776 students at Harvard in 1973! The number of women in school and businesses have definitely increased! It has not increased to the point where we outnumber men but I think that it will definitely get there at one point. Maybe I just have high hopes because we still have that glass ceiling both in schools and corporations.
In the article it states that in Fortune 500 companies women occupy 15% of board seats and are 3% of CEOs. This made me think of the College of Business here at ISU. I realize that although there are a lot of women in the State Farm Hall of Business building the men still outnumber us. There have been occasions where there are only three women in a class of 25 students! I think that as more women get engaged in the business world the easier it will be for us to overcome the glass ceiling!

No comments:

Post a Comment